Atif is admitted as a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales where he primarily focuses his practice on dispute resolution, with particular concentration on high value and international commercial litigation and arbitration, while also advising on commercial matters concerning companies and property. Atif also practices internationally in Saudi Arabia where he advises a range of clients on commercial, corporate and dispute resolution matters in connection with shipping issues, engineering and construction projects, joint ventures, project finance and M&A.
Atif also has commercial work experience outside of the law, having worked for Thomson Reuters prior to joining David Wyld & Co. Solicitors.
England and Wales
- Representation of a defendant in a €1.3 million breach of contract claim, by a Belizean registered Claimant Company whose beneficial owner was convicted in absentia by an Italian court of playing a part in a €150 million pyramid scheme, before the Commercial Court (Chancery Division) of the High Court of Justice of England and Wales. Permission to appeal has been granted by the Court of Appeal against the decision of the Commercial Court.
- Successful representation of a prominent West African airlines against HM Revenue & Customs in the Companies Court, in an emergency application to bring forward and dismiss a winding-up petition served by HMRC.
- Representation of a defendant lessee in a claim brought by the claimant landlord for the payment of rent arrears. Proceedings have been ongoing since 2011, and now largely center on the claimant’s contractual right to claim its costs incurred in relation to serving s.146 notice. Recent developments mean that settlement of the claim is currently being contemplated.
- Advising and assisting a prominent Saudi Arabian business family on their UK interests, including advice in relation to a cross-border dispute stemming from a franchise agreement entered into with a UK company; the proposed establishment of a UK commercial enterprise; as well as a proposal to join two flats, which are owned in a prime Battersea development in London.
- Advising on and assisting in the successful settlement of a contentious property law dispute involving Ultra High Net Worth Individuals in a case before the Central London County Court.
- Representation and defence of a high net-worth residential tenant in a claim stemming from an invalidly served s.21 Law of Property Act Notice to Quit. Case was successfully settled.
- Provided assistance in the conduct of ongoing international commercial litigation in a highly complex $1billion multi-jurisdictional case in the High Court of Justice of England and Wales (Queen’s Bench Division).
- Provided assistance on, and advice in relation to, the conduct of international arbitration in a €25million claim in the London Court of International Arbitration. Case was successfully settled.
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales, 2016